3.19.2015

Temple, My Captain

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to meet Temple Grandin…which is when I came about as close to fan-girling as I ever hope to. It was like meeting Matt Damon (well, not really). Or John Krasinski (no, nevermind). Or Ellen! But better.

If you don’t know [of] Temple Grandin - she’s a lot of things…among them: an activist, an author, an inventor/engineer, and a professor of animal science. She’s genuinely brilliant and her innovative designs of curved chutes and humane handling systems for livestock (as they proceed to slaughter) are used by 50% of the cattle industry in the United States. (Important bonus: she fought her way into a male dominated field and has been notably successful.) I don’t follow the cattle industry though and can’t relate to livestock in the unique ways she can, so these are not the things that induced my nearly-adolescent fan-girl behavior (though I do find them impressive). Temple is someone with autism who is able to speak about being autistic, explain many of the attributes, and offer incredible insight. She’s no longer the only one who can do this (others are similarly gifted), but she was the first – and she did so loudly (literally and figuratively). The woman is a legit pioneer…minus the stereotypical pioneer-woman dress & bonnet. (Temple totally digs western wear. Hates dresses.) 

I could easily go on and on about her, but I'd like you to return to this blog...so I'm lovingly and severely editing myself.


(This is Temple signing my book!)

She also grew up in the 1950s and 1960s when even less was known about autism. She didn't speak until she was 3 ½ and the doctors advised her mother to institutionalize her. Her mother (also an impressive person by the way) strongly disagreed. Temple has written numerous books and there’s even a movie, Temple Grandin, starring Claire Danes…who did a bang up job of portraying Temple. Look her up, read her stuff, watch the movie. She's worth learning about, truly.



So back to the occasion I recently had to briefly meet her and hear her speak… I stood in a line to have her autograph a book for me, and a quote of hers (that autism makes people “different, not less”) which I had printed for Tyler. She asked me (TEMPLE GRANDIN asked ME) who Tyler was, and I said he was a former student of mine. She asked if he was verbal (TEMPLE AND I WERE STRAIGHT UP CONVERSING)…and how he spends his days. I know for certain that I said he wasn't verbal, but I've no idea what else I said to her…I may well have spoken on the virtues of Havarti cheese. I have no recollection.

Her lecture was great and the Q&A portion was especially entertaining. The place was flush with aspies and others with autism…so watching their exchanges and behaviors + being in the minority (always an important experience) was fascinating.

 It was an honor to meet her, and a thrill to check this item off from my Life List.


This is the final product I gave to Tyler and his family, which his father promptly appropriated for his office :). 


3/28/15 (After seeing nearly 100 people have viewed this post...)
Thank you for taking the time to read this! I'd love to know what you think - please leave a comment below...even if only to say you too, love Havarti cheese :).

No comments: